Special Reports  ::   A Special Report on Aleppo Central Prison

A Special Report on Aleppo Central Prison

The Execution and Fatal Starvation Of Dozens of Prisoners

Violation Documentation Center in Syria

April 2014




For more than a year, conditions at Aleppo Central Prison have been extraordinary to say the least. The savage practices of some guards and officers, such as violating the prisoners’ right to freedom of belief by cursing and preventing some religious activities including al-Tarawih prayers, prompted the first protest by the prisoners in the last days of July 2012. As a result the prison became almost like any Syrian intelligence branch in that the prisoners were subjected to violations including extreme and fatal torture, and dozens of field execution cases. Moreover, six months were added to all the prisoners’ detention periods, and the prisoners who finished their detentions were not released. Prisoners were also deliberately deprived of food and medical care, which lead to many diseases. The worst diseases were the plague and the tuberculosis, which killed many of those who survived the torture and the mass executions.



The prisoners of Aleppo Prison suffer very bad conditions, according to the testimonies of eyewitnesses and the information received from inside the prison. This was especially so after the prison’s surroundings became a war zone with the regime forces on one side and the Free Syrian Army and other battalions on the other.

Suspecting that the prisoners might be exposed to extra violations as a result of the Free Syrian Army initiative, and conscious that the International Community was focusing only on certain aspects of the Syrian crisis to the exclusion of humanitarian issues, VDC conducted this ‘Special Report on Aleppo Central Prison’. According to testimonies, prisoners have indeed suffered extra violations including torture, starvation and being used as human shields. This document is intended to incite international bodies, led by the Security Council, to take all necessary actions to save the thousands of prisoners concerned.


This report depended on testimonies by formers prisoners, current prisoners and dissident officers of the prison. Although he had dissented before the prison's bloody incidents started, one of the dissident officers has provided us with figures and specific details that no prisoner could know. One of the testimonies was conducted with the prisoner in question through a phone call, while another was via Skype. A third one was conducted by one of our cadres in the city of al-Qamishli in the north east of Syria, and the forth was of a witness from Aleppo who stated a brief testimony about what he saw inside the prison.

As a secondary source of information, the report also depended on media and social media which receive information from Aleppo Prison. These testimonies and sources of information were analyzed and we were able to locate the prison ‘burial site’ after asking a commercial company to provide us with satellite pictures. The pictures are consistent with testimonies that have asserted the existence of mass graves in the yard of the Prison. In June 2013 VDC published an urgent call from Aleppo Central Prison regarding the mass executions, the torture of many prisoners and the poor health conditions being suffered by some.


First: On Aleppo Central Prison

The prison is located in the northern district of Aleppo, near Palestinian Handrat Camp, 3 km north of al-Kindi Hospital, near al-Musalmia Town, and it consists of three buildings:

1- The Old Building: this takes the shape of the Mercedes-Benz Sign. It consists of four floors and each floor comprises 6 sections which each contain ten rooms. There were 25 prisoners in each room until the launch of the revolution, after which there were 50 prisoners in each room. The first floor is for serving food and departmental services, the second floor is for newcomers and the third is for convicted prisoners.

2- The Second Building: this is under construction and intended for prisoners charged with drug taking and trafficking, in order to isolate them from the rest.

3- The Third Annexed Building: this is in the eastern yard of the prison. It’s for women and children. In recent times it has been used for protesters as well. After the latest military action around the prison, all the prisoners in it were transferred to the Old Building.

In this prison there is a dedicated area for ‘Salafi’ prisoners, all of whom were transferred from Sidnaya Militery Prison. There is also a dedicated area for interrogation, but it is used exclusively to interrogate about incidents that have occurred inside the prison.

A Satellite picture showing the three main parts of Aleppo Central Prison, taken before the latest military actions around the prison started


Concerning management of the prison, dissident policeman Abu Hussein[1] stated to VDC as follows:

“The prison is managed by 25 officers headed by the Prison Governor and his deputy. There is also an officer for each department – the Finance Department and Executive Department, for example - who is called the Head of the department.

Before my dissidence, the Prison Governor was the brigadier general Muhamad Shoman from the village of Tawama in the western part of Aleppo countryside. Most of the officers under his command are Alawite. His deputy was Salman Zaher from the Village of Bahlolia in Latakia, while Captain Isa Ibrahim - known as Isa Sulaiman - was responsible for the second floor. He has always declared, since the first months of the revolution, that they are planning to turn Idlib into a "field of lettuce" and Daraa into a "field of potatoes". There was also Officer Muhamad Muhamad, who was responsible for the third floor, and Officer Jalal who was responsible for the first floor.”


Abu Hussein adds:

“The prison included more than 5000 prisoners, 400 of whom were political prisoners who are members of Islamic movements. They were transferred from Sidnaya Prison and they were totally isolated from the rest of the prisoners. Until the advent of my dissidence there had been more than a thousand prisoners whose offense had been to participate in political protests, all of whom were transferred from the security branches. There were about 160 female prisoners, many of whom were arrested for protesting. They were mostly charged with demonstrating, possession of arms and insulting the president.”

This number has decreased according to testimonies from inside the prison; one of the prisoners, who is still detained, maintains that the current number is 3000 to 3500, due to many dying and many being released.



Second: Those Transferred to Aleppo Central Prison on Charges of Revolutionary Activities

All those who were transferred to Aleppo Central Prison on charges of revolutionary activities had been in the security branches of Aleppo, or in some of the branches in the other cities. According to eyewitnesses, most of them were exposed to savage torture in those branches, at the head of which is the notorious Air Security Branch in Aleppo.

Concerning these prisoners, dissident policeman Abu Hussein said:

“Torture marks were still clear on those who were brought from security branches, especially from Air Security Branch in Aleppo. The detainees who were transferred from this branch had many marks that showed they were exposed to indescribable torture. We used to send many letters to the administration saying that those detainees were about to die and that no medical treatment would help them inside the prison. I still remember more than ten of them and I also remember a detainee from Kaferanbel who was arrested by the Military Security before being transferred to a sub-branch of the Political Security in Damascus where he was reportedly exposed to the 'Khazook' technique (inserting a bottle to the anus of the detainee). Moreover, prisoners were exposed to beating and torture at the hands of Major Ahmad Falah, who tortured more than 500 detainees by "hanging" them, and against whom many of the detainees filed complaints.

Such claims were supported by the testimonies of former detainees including our main witness, the student and former detainee, 29 year old Jaker Khowain Mulla Ahmad. Arrested by Military Security in Aleppo before being transferred to Damascus, he witnessed much torturing aside from his own.

In his testimony to VDC, he said:

“I was arrested in March 2012 by members of Military Security Branch. Once I was inside the branch they started beating me savagely, demanding to know the whereabouts of my laptop. After that they transferred me to Damascus by a ’plane along with two guards. When we got to Branch 215, ‘Raid Brigade’, they left me in a cell for a day. The next day, they took off all my clothes and whipped me all over my body, and then they took me to the interrogation room where I was blindfolded and handcuffed wearing only my underwear. The interrogation lasted for 11 days and I had to sign – under torture - to false charges including 'distributing weapons in the university campus’.

Aside from whipping me, they also put me in a room where they poured cold water on me every 15 minutes while cursing me with unspeakable words. There were also other techniques like the ‘German chair’ and the Electric Stick.

On the twelfth day, they asked us to get dressed and took us by car to a building only five minutes away from Branch 215. The moment we got there, they started beating and cursing us. After that they took pictures of us (20 university students), and later put us in a room filled with detainees, telling us we were in Branch 293, part of the Administration of Military Security which is headed by Abdul Fattah Qudsia.

The room was 25 m2 and we were 55 detainees. The floor contains 8 detention rooms, each of which has the same measurements but contains varying number of detainees. Civilian detainees call it Branch 293, whereas the military detainees call it Branch 291. Due to the lack of space they moved us after 12 days, taking us to a room where officers charged with ‘thinking of dissidence’ were being held.

For 32 days in this branch, aside from the first day, I wasn’t exposed to any torture. The sound of others being tortured, however, was endless. One of the brutal things that I witnessed was a detainee who had been shot with two bullets, one in the leg and the other in the loin. After getting the bullets out, they left him with us in the room without any medical care or medicine. His health was deteriorating. There was another case of a detainee who had been in ‘Sasa’ Branch. Due to the extreme torture to which he had been exposed, especially by electricity, he had an unbearable wound in his back. He accordingly lost his mind passed away a few days later. ‘Hanging’ is the most common technique in this branch and most of those who were exposed to it were hung for at least 4 days.

After 42 days, when they finished interrogating me, I was transferred to the Military Police Branch in al-Qaboun and then to the Military Court. After that, I was taken to al-Balona Prison in Homs, where I saw 70 completely disfigured detainees who had just arrived from Air Security Branch and who had apparently been exposed to brutal torture. On the next day, they transferred me to Military Police in Aleppo, then to the Military court where they issued an arrest warrant in accordance with Article II of Law No.26 of 2011, on charges of 'distributing weapons in the campus’. My second charge was under Article 123, and it was ‘helping army soldiers to escape’. In April 2012, I was transferred to Aleppo Central Prison”.


Third: The Incidents of Aleppo Prison, the First Revolt:

After June 2012 when the revolutionary wave hit Aleppo, Syria’s second largest city, the provocative actions and bad conduct of the prison guards and officers gradually increased. The prison was already notorious for cruel treatment of the detainees regardless of their charges. All of this led to the First Revolt on 23 July 2012. The guards and the administration of the prison reacted to the Revolt violently with live bullets and with tear gas bombs which suffocated some prisoners. The Revolt continued till early morning when security forces entered and arrested more than 500 prisoners who were taken to an unknown place.

According to eyewitnesses, the direct reason behind the Revolt was prevention of Al-Tarawih Prayers, which are undertaken on the second or the third day of Ramadan, Muslims’ Holy Month.


About that day, a prisoner who is still detained in Aleppo Prison stated to VDC:

“During the first days of Ramadan 2012, which coincided with the last days of July 2012, just after Al-Tarawih Prayers, the prisoners on the third floor carried out a Revolt. It coincided with the revolutionary activities in the City of Aleppo back then. Security forces encountered the Revolt with full strength; they used live ammunition and tear gas bombs. This lasted for two hours and the result was a vast destruction in the dormitories aside from 50 injuries and 35 fatalities. Later, we got to know that the administration of the prison was behind this Revolt as they pushed some ‘spies’ to stir up the prisoners on account of the fact that Al-Tarawih Prayers had been prevented. About 500 prisoners were taken to the vault of the prison on that day, where they were exposed to severe torture; their screams were heard all over the prison. They were stripped of their cloths and stuffed in a tight place and dumped with sewage water. As they gained control again, they closed all the doors of the dormitories, except for those of the political prisoners section who refused to have their dormitory door closed as they hadn’t participated in the Revolt. We were informed that six prisoners were killed under torture aside from those who were killed during the first hours of the Revolt.”

34 year old Prisoner (A, R), from Aleppo, stated to VDC:

“On the day following the Revolt, they took a new group of prisoners. While interrogating them, we heard a close fire shooting. The interrogations continued for a week. Some prisoners died because of electrocution as they were electrified with high voltage current somewhere near to their hearts. More than 50 prisoners were believed to have been killed during that week, particularly when Security and Army forces entered one of the dormitories and executed many prisoners including 25 year old Muhamad al-Hussein from Deir Ezzour, who was arrested on charge of demonstrating, and 29 year old Bilal Haj Ali from al-Bukamal”.


About this incident, former detainee Jaker Khowain Mulla Ahmad stated to VDC:

“During that day, the prisoners were frightened, especially when they were attacked with smoke and tear bombs as well as live bullets fired randomly through the window. 16 prisoners were killed, some of them under torture. On the next day, a ‘masked group’ from the administration came in, took 10 prisoners and shot them. We also heard that a group of Air Security members came and took some prisoners and executed them somewhere. The total death toll amounted to 30 prisoners.

I can still vividly remember the names of the officers who opened fire on the prisoners. They were Muhamad Baroud, Ahmad Baroud, Policeman Rayan, Captain Ziad, Lieutenant Waheed and Captain Ayham.”


Forth: Before the Military Actions Started around Aleppo Prison

After the first Revolt, they added six months to each prisoner’s term and some of the prisoners were subjected to new charges, regardless of the fact that their charges had been felonious. As punishment they were deprived of mobile calls or visits, as well as the ‘breathing hours’. 34 year old Prisoner (A, R) from Aleppo confirmed to VDC that he was accused of false charges after the Revolt, saying:

“They called for me again for interrogation; the officer tore up the old warrant that was issued by the judge and asked another officer to write the following charges: stirring sectarian prejudices and insulting the status of the state, stating Fatwas of killing Alawite soldiers and officers and spreading Salafism!”

After the Revolt, things calmed down inside the prison. Soldiers from the Army and the Presidential Guards headed by Colonel Nidal al-Abdullah (dark skin, 170 cm height, black hair and probably from Tartous) were brought to the prison. On 1 Dec 2012, Captain Isa Sulaiman, nicknamed ‘Sheikh al-Alawia’ (the Alawite Sheikh) came back from a battle against the Free Syrian Army with a wounded lieutenant. He rushed immediately to the Political Dormitory and opened fire at the prisoners leaving five of them with critical injuries.

In March 2013, the military operations around the prison started. The Free Syrian Army announced preparations for a ‘Prison Liberation Battle’ and the Prison Administration, in return, promised to turn it into what one of the senior officers called ‘the Prisoner Burial’. The situation worsened in and around the prison. In this regard, former detainee Jaker Khowain said:

“On 27 Mar 2013, the Free Syrian Army imposed a siege around the prison so the foodstuffs and generator fuel started to run out. On 29 Mar 2013, the Prison administration transferred us from the Annexed Building to the Main Building, which was called the ‘Three Floor Tower’. They put us in the third dormitory, room number 9. We knew, then, that they were using us as human shields against the attacks of the Free Army. After that, they armed the roof of our room with ‘Doshka’ (an automatic machine gun) and distributed snipers all over the roofs of the buildings of the prison.”



Fifth: the Military Operation around the Prison and the “Flour Crisis”:

It was vividly clear, according to the prisoners, that there would be many crises in the near future especially since incidents were escalating inside Aleppo and its countryside. Many prisoners received news about their relatives' deaths at the hand of the regime forces. There were also clashes between the battalions that announced the ‘Prison Liberation' Battle and the regime forces that guard the prison. All of this led to acute shortage of foodstuffs and other supplies. It was clear that the prison was heading towards many crises, one of which was called the ‘Flour Crisis’

About this crisis, former detainee Jaker Khowain Mulla Ahmad said:

“On 2nd May 2013, the prison ran out of the fuel used for the prison’s main furnace. We spent two days without any food. On 5 May 2013, we entered a new stage which we named the ‘Flour Crisis’. Starting from that day, our meal was only a cup of flour every day; around 150 g of flour for each prisoner. The fuel was used by the officers, guards and tanks which consumed hundreds of litres a day, while we were deprived of food under the pretext that there wasn’t any.

At the beginning we didn’t know what to do with the cup of flour. Some prisoners suggested setting up a fire in the room and trying to bake it. We had to cut parts of our blankets in order to set up the fire. We had to burn some of our clothes and shoes and anything that burns to get two loafs of bread that lacked salt and oil. Some other prisoners boiled their portions of flour and drank it as soup. ‘Baking the flour’ took five hours a day with the fire on throughout this time. This polluted the air and, aside from the lack of food, it might be the reason behind the tuberculosis that spread among the prisoners. This situation lasted for two months and five days.”

Jaker Khowain added:

“On 15th May 2013, the Free Army waged a preliminary attack by shelling the prison with mortar. One shell hit one of the prisoners rooms that was armed with the ‘Doshka’ on the roof. Three prisoners were killed. They were: 23 year old Abdul Rahman Darwish, a fifth year Technology Engineering student from Bizaa in Aleppo countryside; 19 year old Rashid Muhamad Sulaiman from Hiranous in Idlib; and 21 year old Hasan Masri from Hritan in Aleppo countryside.

Aside from these three, many were injured. We screamed for an ambulance, so one of the guards named Muhamad Barodi opened fire at us injuring two prisoners; the first was hit in the leg and the second in the shoulder.

Six prisoners were killed as a result of the first attack of the Free Army, aside from a large number of policemen. The strongest attack, however, was on 23 May 2013, when 44 of the prisoners were killed because they were used as human shields by the regime forces. The clashes that day lasted for 14 continuous hours. After that, the Alawite officers in the prison arrested the Sunni officers ‘doubting their loyalty’. One of the officers was a major called Walid.


Sixth: the Second Revolt as a result of Hunger and Disease

By July 2013, we were about to run out of flour, so they reduced our shares to half a glass only. On the first of Ramadan, 10 July 2013, the flour supply was completely exhausted and we got nothing to eat for the three following days. According to the prisoners, the phrase ‘I’m hungry’ became the biggest taboo; if the guards heard any prisoner saying it, he would be taken to the torturing room and beaten with iron sticks until their limbs were broken, and beaten to death with blows to the head. Many prisoners couldn’t tolerate the hunger”.

With regard to the Second Revolt and the period that followed, witness Jaker Khowain Mulla Ahmad stated to VDC:

“After the flour ran out and the killing of prisoners who asked for food, prisoners in the first and the second dormitories protested about the lack of food so the guards countered the unrest. However, the prisoners snatched some guns, broke the doors and killed a Military Security colonel.

The army thus countered this revolt by directly opening fire. Six prisoners were killed including Sheikh Abu Hozaifa. About 40 were injured and many were arrested. 16 prisoners were killed under torture in the ‘Sawalin’ (small cells in the vault of the prison) just for saying 'we are hungry'. The final death toll in that Revolt was 16”.

Jaker Khowain added:

“On the third of Ramadan, and under the auspice of the Red Crescent, an agreement was signed between the Free Army and the administration of the prison. The agreement said that the Free Army would allow the passage of cooked food four times a week, in return for which the prison would release 10 prisoners each time food was allowed through. The administration of the prison stole most of the food leaving only half a loaf and two spoonful of rice or groats for each prisoner. The agreement lasted for three months including Ramadan before it was cancelled due to a problem between the two parties. The Red Crescent couldn’t bring us any food for 9 days, during which the administration of the prison gave us half a loaf of mouldy bread which we called the ‘green bread’. When we ran out of the ‘green bread’ too, we stayed without any food for 4 days (96 hours). During that period, Officer Ayham came to us every day to say sarcastically ‘we are sorry, there is no food tonight so please keep silent and if any of you wants to meet the nymphs of paradise, I can give him this bullet as a passport.’

Because of this ‘green bread’ we were infected by a virus that causes diarrhea. The prisoners were terrified, particularly because 50 prisoners passed away, 23 of them during the first week of October 2013. I still remember some of them like Anwar Ali Hamam, Yehya Mahmoud Manashfi, Abdul kareem from Deir Ezzour and Haitham Zazo from al-Bukamal. Up until the date of my release, the number of those who were killed by tuberculosis mounted up to a hundred. Another 50 prisoners were killed under torture and 25 others died from various and chronic diseases. Many were field-executed at the hands of the army officers. Some were taken to security branches where they were executed. Upon my release, there were more than 65 prisoners with tuberculosis and they were suffering the poor medical care of the prison, which involved no doctors except for one officer doctor and four prisoners who helped him.

Between April 2012 and 13 October 2013, there were more than 400 death cases in the prison. 300 bodies were buried in the eastern yard of the prison. The other 100 bodies were delivered to their families in the period that preceded the siege."


Jaker Khowain added:

“During the last days of October 2013, I was released along with 8 detainees, all of whom were arrested for felonious charges; I was the only one with a revolution-related charge. We were delivered to the Red Crescent and then to 'al-Nusra' Front and then to Ahrar al-Cham Movement. As there was no transportation, we had to spend a night at the Movement’s Headquarters. The next morning some friends helped me cross the Turkish borders, near Kilis Refugee Camp and I went to my home in al-Hasaka, Qamishli City.

One of the martyrs, called Sheikh Sabah al-Kurdi, a Syrian Kurdish from Hama, had blood cancer. He was exposed to savage torture then thrown into a cell where he was left, according to information I received on 23 Oct 2013 from prisoners with whom I kept in touch after my release, until he died after two months.”



Seventh: Satellite Pictures Showing the Mass Graves in the Prison's Yard

In all the testimonies conducted by VDC, witnesses and former detainees were asked about the numbers of those killed by the regime forces and where they had been buried, considering that the prison is besieged by ant-government forces. The last time a detainee, whose name remained anonymous, made a call from the prison was on 14-2-2014. He confirmed that the number of victims had reached up 639, excluding the number of regime casualties. 10 were killed during the last battle of Wa Motasimah and 23 others were injured. Two other detainees were killed by unknown fires. The witness also stressed that food stopped for four days during the fierce fighting attempting to break into the prison.

Eyewitnesses also confirmed that the prisoners who died under torture or out of hunger were buried in the eastern yard of the prison. There is a gap between the burial ground of the regime and the place where prisoners were buried. VDC provided a a satellite company with accurate locations and specific dates, which enabled the company to take its first picture on 31-10-2013. This shows the following:

First: Area no.1 shows burned materials, probably garbage bags.

Second: Area no. 2 shows a burial ground. This was the area where the witnesses said the regime forces had been burying their casualties from clashes with the Free Amy.

Third: Area no 3 shows another, relatively large, burial ground. This was the area where witnesses said the regime forces had been burying dead prisoners. According to the witnesses, about 300 prisoners had been buried up until the date of the picture.


VDC took another picture on 6 March 2014 and previewed the above-mentioned areas again. The results shows:

First: no changes took place in area no.2

Second: the space of the prisoners’ burial ground has dramatically increased in square (3), having now reached about 700 m2, and it became more organized. This picture of mass graves corresponds to a great extent with witnesses’ descriptions of where prisoners have been buried.



Eighth: Summary and Results

1-the first Revolt was in late July 2012 and it coincided with the beginning of demonstrations in Aleppo. However, the reason behind it was not clear. Consequently, the prison's administration brought members of the Presidential Guards to suppress the disobedience, and they opened fire killing many prisoners. No accurate numbers are available. One of the witnesses said 16 prisoners were killed, while the number given by another was 35. After the Revolt was suppressed more than 500 prisoners were interrogated, more than six of whom were reportedly killed under torture. The final number of casualties, including those who died from torture, from field executions or from being shot was more than 30.

2-As a retaliation for the Revolt, the prison's administration increased each prisoner's term by six months. Prisoners were deprived them of "breathing hours", contact with their families, food and medicines. By March 2013 food started to run out dramatically, due to nearby military operations which had begun with the Free Syrian Army, who were trying to break into the prison, blocking roads to the prison. Then supplies were completely stopped.

3-“In May 2013 the prison was running out of the fuel used for the prison furnace. Food ran out too, leaving thousands of prisoners starving for 84 hours. As a result, the so-called ‘Flour’ Crisis began, when the prison's administration was giving only a cup of flour every day; prisoners received about 150g each and had to bake it themselves by burning blankets to start up the fire. Some fuel was available, but only for use by the officers, guards and tanks.

4- between May 2013 and July 2013, diseases started to spread widely among the prisoners. Ttuberculosis was especially rife, due to the lack of food and the smoke caused by the burning of blankets to bake bread.

5-On 10-7-2013, flour ran out entirely and the prisoners remained without any food for three whole days. This pushed some prisoners in the first and second sections to stage a second Revolt, in protest at the deteriorating conditions. The Revolt was countered brutally by the regime forces, which opened fire at the prisoners, killing six of them and injuring 40. Dozens of other prisoners were also taken to the "Sawalin", which were the solitary cells in the prison's vault. Here more than 16 of them died, as a result of severe torture in which their limbs were broken by beating.

6- A few days after that, an agreement was reached, under the auspice of the Red Crescent, between the Free Army and the administration of the prison. This agreement said that the Free Army would allow the passage of cooked food four times a week and, in return, the administration would release 10 prisoners for each passage of food. However, the officers and the administration stole most of the food leaving the prisoners very little.

7- The agreement lasted for three months, until the end of September when it was cancelled due to a problem between the two parties. Accordingly, the prisoners remained without any food for about 96 hours. Then the administration of the prison gave them mouldy bread which caused them a virus that resulted in diarrhea, which in turn led to the death of more than 50 prisoners.

8-There was a deliberate intention to deprive prisoners of medicines and medical care, which led to a severe deterioration in the physical and psychological health hundreds of prisoners, and resulted in the deaths of many who had come to look more like skeletons. The number of those who died as a result of tuberculosis was more than 100 prisoners until the date of 13.10.2013. Even when the Red Crescent arrived at the prison, drugs were being stolen, and sold at extortionate prices instead of being given to the prisoners. The money that had to be paid for the drugs was given to the prisoners by their families, who transferred it to their sons via policemen who were imposing exorbitant royalties on every transfer.

9-From April 2012 up until 13-10-2013, more than 400 fatalities inside Aleppo Prison were reported, including death from torture, executions, and various diseases such as tuberculosis, plague and dysentery.

10- Until 14-2-2014, the final number was 635 prisoners. There was also news, as yet unconfirmed, of collective fatalities caused by hunger and cold.




Ninth: Names of Prisoners Reported by Eyewitness To Have been Killed at the Hands of the Regime Forces

Nadim Ahmad al-Hajji, Darat Azza, Aleppo

Muhammad Ahmad, al-Bab, Aleppo

Adnan Idrees, Harbel, Aleppo

Basel Qasir, Jalloum, Aleppo

Mustafa Mo’az, Ma’adi neighborhood, Aleppo

Ali Bilal, Ekhtrin, Aleppo

Ahmad EzzIddin, Darat Azza, Aleppo

Muhammad Walid Arrabi ”Muhammad Beik, Aleppo

Hamber Som Abu Zayyan, Midan, Aleppo

Mustafa Amino, al-Kallaseh, Aleppo

Fadi Ahmad, Safira, Aleppo

Anas Kharqi, Sabe' Bahrat, Aleppo

Idris Koussa, Rajo

Ahmad Khalaf, Hreitan, Aleppo

Othman al-Najjar, al-Hader, Aleppo

Lawand Haji, Kurdish, Sheikh Maqsoud, Aleppo

Zakaria Tammo, Kafer Saghir, Aleppo

Muhammad Barkawi, al-Ansari, Aleppo

Sheiko Hasan, Ikhtrin, Aleppo

Alaa al-Din Muhammad Haskolek, al-Sukari, Aleppo

Hasan Masri, Salah al-Din, Aleppo

Mahmoud Abdulraheem Njoum, al-Sakhour, Aleppo

Omar Nasralla, Bab al-Hawa, Aleppo

Fadel Shamdin, Masakin Hanano, Aleppo

Muhammad Atro, Hayyan, Aleppo

Omar Milaji, al-Sakhour, Aleppo

Haydar Muhammad Amin, al-Atarib, Aleppo

Abdulsamad Muhammad Amin, al-Atarib, Aleppo

Muhamad Kheir Muhammad Amin, al-Atarib, Aleppo

Bozan Sheikho Shno, Kurdish, Ein al-Arab, Aleppo

Khalaf al-Thalaj, Safira, Aleppo

Muhammad al-Khateeb, Darat Azza, Aleppo

Shyar Hasan, Kurdish, Afrin, Aleppo

Rasheed Sulaiman, Idlib

Hasan Masri, Hreitan, Aleppo

Ismail Sheikho, Ein al-Arab, Aleppo

Hasan al-Bashar, Safira, Aleppo

Saleh Toubal, Jandaris, Aleppo

Ibrahim Hasan, Maqtaa al-Baqara

Tareq Amouri, Sheikh Maqsoud, Aleppo

Ahmad Aboud, Afrin, Aleppo

Mahmoud Bunni, Hreitan, Aleppo

Ali Jomaa, Safira, Aleppo

Iyad Farghali, Damascus

Muhammad Obeid Droubi, Masakin Hanano, Aleppo

Fahed Abdulmon'em Abdulaziz, Mnbej, Aleppo

Abdulhameed Darweesh, Bza'a, Aleppo, died under torture.

Finally, the witness Jaker Khowain asked us to publish the names of some of his friends who were with him in the prison, so as to help relatives know where they are:


  • Muhammad Muslim, Afrin, Aleppo
  • Abdulkareem Za'atar, Sahl al-Ghab, Hama
  • Ahmad al-Nouri, Deir Ezzor
  • Qaher Sa'eed, Deir Ezzor
  • Mahmoud Ibrahim, Qubani, Ein al-Arab
  • Muhammad al-Seif, AlBukamal
  • Abdulwahed Kahlawi, Jisr al-Shoghour
  • Mustafa Da'boul, Jisr al-Shoghour
  • Hassan al-Hussein
  • Hassan al-Jarad
  • Muhamad al-Wawi
  • Ali Baroud
  • Ahmad alSheikh Saleh
  • Ahmad alSheikh Omar
  • Dr. Muhammad Mustafa, Jisr al-Shogour
  • Diab al-Shawakh, Raqqa
  • Mahmoud al-Khateeb, Raqqa
  • Khalaf al-Jasem
  • Muhammad al-Mahshi, Rural Aleppo
  • Jekar Khowain, Qamishli
  • Hamoud Adnan Hamakro, Afrin, Aleppo
  • Abdulbaset Qattan
  • Muhammad Ahmad Ajeel
  • Waqqas Ohran, Turkey
  • Murad Nader Saht, Turkey
  • AbduIlah Taher, Kherbat Jahash Village, Qamishli
  • Qasem Tlass
  • Fo'ad Darweesh, Aleppo












An Image of Detainee Jakar Khwein Malla Ahmad:

Before Detention

After the Detention


[1] A son of Ma'arrat al-Nou'man western countryside, Idlib. Born in 1968. He was the Chief Internal Guard in Aleppo Central Prison and the Vice Governor of the Prison. He dissented in mid 2012.

لأية ملاحظات أو أسئلة يمكن التواصل معنا عبر بريدنا الالكتروني

للاطلاع على تقاريرنا السابقة باللغة العربية

للاطلاع على تقاريرنا السابقة باللغة الإنكليزية